1. For all the nutrients minimum RDA must be met.
2. Energy derived from cereal should not be more than 75
3. It is better to include two cereals in one meal like
rice and wheat or millets and rice.
4. Flour should not be sieved for chapathi as it reduces
5. Refined cereals should be taken in minimum quantity.
6. Red meat to be taken in minimum quantity.
7. Two to three servings of pulses should be taken every
day. Germinated pulses are more nutritious.
8. A minimum quantity of 500ml milk per day should be
included. Two glasses of milk or curd should b included in a balance diet. Curd
provides probiotics. Low fat milk should be preferred.
9. Foods rich in fiber should be included in the diet.
10. Every meal should contain at least one medium size
fruit. It is better to serve the fruit as such.
11. Taking juice out of a fruit causes loss of vitamin C
and fiber. Fruits should never be cooked.
12. Fish, preferably oily fish, should be included in the
diet at least twice a week.
13. Green leafy vegetables should be taken as minimum of
one serving per day.
14. Five servings of colourful fruits and vegetables should
be included in a day’s diet to meet antioxidant requirement.
15. Energy derived from fats or oils should be 15-20
percent of total calories and 5 percent from sugar and jaggery.
16. Diet should be low in fat, saturated fat, trans fat and
17. It is better to use more than one type of oil.
Combination of oils gives proper balance of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids.
18. Variety of foods should be in the menu. No single food
has all the nutrients.
19. Preferably each meal should consist of all the five
20. Each meal should meet one third of total calories and
21. For quick calculations food exchange list can be used.
22. If possible, meals should be planned at a time for
23. Water should be taken in adequate quantities.
24. Use processed and ready to eat foods judiciously.
Processed foods contain a variety of food additives.
25. Children and patients whose nutritional requirements
are high, supplementary food can be given.